Skip to content

Faculty Apparently Use Social Media

2010 May 6

Inside Higher Ed discusses the results found by a survey conducted by Pearson on faculty use of social media.  The results are pretty surprising.

  • 80% of faculty have social media accounts.
  • About 32% use social media to talk to other educators.
  • About 30% use social media to talk to students.
  • The adoption rate for social media by faculty that teach online classes is only slightly greater than the adoption rate for faculty in traditional settings (by 10% or so).
  • There are relatively few differences by area (comparing business, hard sciences, and humanities and social sciences).
  • 96% of faculty have heard of Facebook.  Which makes me wonder who the other 4% are.
  • Roughly 70% of faculty believe video, podcasts, wikis and blogs are useful teaching tools.

You can find the presentation of all this information here.  There are some methodological concerns – a random sample of 10,000 Pearson customers were sent survey invitations, and only about 10% responded.  It is quite likely that this biased these results toward social media – after all, the faculty most likely not to use social media are also the most likely not to check their e-mail and take online surveys.

At the least though, it does show that there’s at least a fair share of faculty who do see the value in these new technologies.  That’s promising, especially since my lab is launching the first large-scale quantitative examination of social media in teaching next Monday.  If it works, at least we’ll have an audience!

Previous Post:
Next Post:
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

x
Neoacademic.com has changed servers! The new site should be faster and more responsive than ever before. But there may be bugs! If you run into any weird site behavior, please email me at rnlanders at odu dot edu